History of North Presbyterian Church
Our church history dates back to 1888. The present site at College and Irvine was purchased at that time by Mrs. J. P. Irvine. She also donated additional land for a manse. This church was an outgrowth of a YMCA Mission and was later sponsored by the First Presbyterian Church. The building was erected in 1889 and Sunday school started in the parlors.
In 1894 North Presbyterian Church was officially organized by the Chemung Presbytery. Since then it has gone through many stages and building projects as the church grew.
The congregation celebrated their centennial in 1994.
In 1999, a fire destroyed the sanctuary and the new administrative wing. Water and smoke damage affected other parts of the building as well. The stained glass windows were salvaged. Church services were held at another location as a Rebuilding Committee began its work.
In 2002, the congregation returned to a newly built church at College & Irvine.